Thursday, November 14, 2013

Healthcare.gov sharing your personal information

By Gary Bryan / for Random Ammo

Your personal information is definitely at risk of being shared when you use Obamacare's website, Healthcare,gov.

Experian is the name of the company that is responsible for ID verification at Obamacare's website, Healthcare.gov. The company collects information about consumers from various sources and then sells the information in the form of credit reports and mailing lists. They also sell identity theft protection - which, after reading this post, you might find ironic.

RandonAmmo now has proof that Experian is using the personal information of users of HealthCare.gov to update the credit files and then is selling that information to others for commercial purposes. In my case they
apparently sold my email address to Chase Bank. Here's what happened to me ...

After several attempts to register at HealthCare.gov I finally was able to start the process. I set-up and used a special email address just for that purpose. I didn't want to use my regular, personal email address.

While completing the initial form, I found it interesting that including my social security number was optional. What a pleasant surprise. Later I would find out that Obamacare would have access to it through my credit file just by associating my name and address. They would then have access to all my available demographic and financial information - including my social security number. Pretty tricky.

After the form I was then linked to a page to verify that I was really who I claimed to be. To do that I was given a series of multiple choice questions to answer. That was the point where it became obvious that my credit file had to have been accessed. The questions had to do with specific information about me personally and my finances. Nothing top secret but the questions referred to the type of things that only I or my wife would be likely to know and wouldn't necessarily share with just anybody. For example ...

Are you employed by Smith Concrete Company,  Acme Canning, Inc. or Walmart? Did you finance a car around the year 2010 with Chase Bank, Bank of America or Toyota Credit? Have you resided at your present address for more than 5 years or or more than 20 years? There were five or six questions like that. The only way that they could ask such questions and know the right answers would be by accessing my consumer credit file. The example question above about the bank that I used for financing a car was actually one of the real questions. Chase was the right answer.

I must have answered all the questions correctly because my ID was deemed verified and I was allowed to click the 'Continue' button. Of course the website locked up at that point and I never did get to compare any prices. But within a couple of days I received an email  - from Chase Bank! It was sent to the same unique email address that I used to sign up at HealthCare.gov! Somehow the email that I used exclusively to sign up for Obamacare ended up being used by Chase bank to offer me a checking account.

There's no question (in my mind) that Experian added the special email address to my credit report file. I doubt if Chase Bank got it directly or if another party was involved but I suppose anything is possible. I believe somehow Chase was notified by Experian and given my email address to use. The evidence for that is overwhelming. Maybe I missed something but I don't remember giving permission for my email address or any other personal information to be given out to others.

I now know that whatever information that users provide on the website is not exclusively used for the purposes of Obamacare but is in fact shared with others. Whether that is by design or deceit - I have no idea. It is clear that the website is not as secure as we were lead to believe by the testimony of HHS and others. Something fishy is going on at HealthCare.gov. Your personal information is definitely not safe there.

My story is disturbing on many levels. And it begs many obvious questions. As time allows, I'll comment more below and hope that others will add their perspectives as well. I'll try to get this out to as many people and media sources as I can and hope that readers of this post will do the same.

Gary Bryan - Administrator / RandomAmmo.com
email: RandomAmmo@gmail.com








No comments:

Post a Comment